Kirkwood Community College’s award-winning student newspaper, the Communiqué, won nine awards at the Iowa College Media Association contest in February.
Students competed with other community colleges as well as private and public 4-year colleges in Iowa. Despite ongoing challenges due to the pandemic, Communiqué staff members have adapted, meeting via Zoom and publishing online.
Below is the list of individual and staff awards.
· 1st Place – Best Feature Photo – Jessica McWilliams
· 2nd Place – Best News Photo – Jeff Sigmund
· 2nd Place – Best Sports Photo – Jeff Sigmund
· 2nd Place – Best Online Design – Outstanding Students coverage – Andrew Schneider and staff
· 3rd Place – Best Review – James Dykeman
· 3rd Place – Best Staff Ed – all staff
· Honorable Mention – Best Use of Social Media – Desi Kouassi
· Honorable Mention – Best Online Edition – Andrew Schneider
· Honorable Mention – Best Print Design – Holiday Guide – all staff