Kirkwood Pride Club on the main campus is trying to get the word out that they’re here, and “Allies are all welcome,” said Vice President of the club, Stevie Dean Wilson.
Wilson said students are welcome to join the cause to spread awareness about the LGBTQ+ Community and help fight for LGBTQ+ rights, as they address housing issues. The club also pairs up with Cedar Rapids Pride and Iowa City Pride to participate in events.
Over the summer events will be held by the club. Club President Raven Davies said they are making plans to set up “Gay Game Night” on campus.
Additionally, Davies said every fall semester, a clothing drive is held.
The Kirkwood Pride Club is also involved in a number of local events. Over the summer, the Cedar Rapids Pride Parade is being held in Cedar Rapids on June 4, and Kirkwood Pride club is particular excited about National Gay Pilots Association Convention, where NGPA members will do a fly-in with their personal aircraft and share their passion for aviation with the local Cedar Rapids community this June 3 – June 5.
The Pride Club invites all allies to join, drop by during any meeting and help with community outreach and building healthy relations in the community.
Pride Club and LGBTA
- Main Campus – Pride Club meets every Tuesday at 11:15 a.m. in Cedar Hall, Room 3055
- Iowa City Campus – Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Allies (LGBTA) is open to all students and meets weekly. The club exists to promote the welfare of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students at Kirkwood in Iowa City.
- For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirkwood offers more than 80 student clubs
- For more information visit www.kirkwood.edu/clubs