In today’s world, our safety is something we talk about with a degree of seriousness, yet is also taken for granted. With today’s news talking about break ins and missing people, it may leave us to wonder how to stay safe in an uncertain world. Here are some safety tips from Sheriff Dave Davis of Davis County, Iowa.
What are your top 5 safety tips for being on campus?
1) I believe that student should be like a police officer – always be aware of your surroundings.
2) Try to be with a friend or friends when walking to and from places, especially after dark.
3) I don’t think this is much of a problem, but always carry a cell phone.
4) Never do drugs and if a student drinks alcohol, don’t drink to the point of intoxication.
5) Be very careful of friending unknown people on social media.
How can college students who are living away from home for the first time keep their homes safe?
1) Use timers to turn lights on and off.
2) Have a good friend you trust keep an eye on your place while you are away.
3) Set up a security camera system (an inexpensive one) or game cameras.
4) Do not invite unknown subjects into your apartment. They might case your belongings while they are there and break into your place later.
We’ve been having a lot of car break-ins here. Is there anything a student could do to prevent their car from being broken into?
1) Always lock your car when it is parked.
2) Do not leave your car unattended while running.
3) Keep valuable property out of plain view inside your vehicle.
4) Park near a security light when possible.
5) Have students do a neighborhood watch in parking areas at the dorms. Excellent deterrent.
It’s important that we all stay safe every day and all year around. There are many ways to stay safe which are easy to put into our day to day lives.
Outreach Coordinator | Distribution Manager
Fall 2022 Feature Editor
Jessica is in the Digital Arts program and previously graduated with an AA in Liberal Arts and a Bakery Certificate. She enjoys cooking, hiking with her dog, Daisy, taking pictures and spending time with her family.
That’s a good idea to get a security camera. I like the sound of being able to at least see any burglars. I’ll make sure to do that if I decide to buy a car this year.