Create balance with learning options

As a student navigating the educational landscape in the 21st century, the choice between online and in-person classes has never been more critical. Both modalities have their advantages and disadvantages, and as a student, we are experiencing both. Online classes are a blessing and a curse but the in-person classes are the traditional way of approach.  

Online classes are often hailed as the future of education, offering convenience and flexibility that cater to the digital age. As a student, I appreciate the ability to access course materials at any time and place. This flexibility has allowed me to juggle work, family and personal commitments while pursuing my education.  

However, one of the most significant downsides of online learning is “the loss of human connection.” In the digital realm, it’s challenging to replicate the sense of community and interaction that in-person classes offer. Building relationships with professors and fellow students is more difficult when the primary mode of communication is through a screen. The absence of these relationships can lead to a sense of isolation and hinder the quality of the learning experience. 

In-person classes, the physical classroom setting fosters a strong sense of community, promotes active engagement and allows for immediate interaction with professors and peers. These classes are where I’ve truly thrived and formed lasting connections with both instructors and classmates.  

Regularly attending classes at scheduled times enforces a routine and keeps students accountable for their learning. In a world where many students work part-time or have family obligations, the fixed schedule of in-person classes can be a significant drawback. Furthermore, the cost of attending in-person classes, including tuition, transportation and housing, can be a barrier for some students. 

As a student, by exploring a blend of online and in-person learning, educational institutions can provide a more inclusive and flexible educational experience that caters to the diverse needs of their students. The Time for Class 2023 survey found that, “31% of students prefer face-to-face instruction over other modes of instruction, but the remaining 69% prefer fully online, hybrid or blended learning options.”  

I believe that the future of education lies in striking a balance between these two modes of learning. 

It’s about creating a customized learning experience where students can choose the format that best suits their needs and the nature of the course. 

Categories: Opinion